SAU TECH COVID-19 DATA AND PLAN
Quarantine Protocol Updates-Effective December 16, 2020
The Arkansas Division of Higher Education has issues a clarification to recent changes to the CDC's quarantine guidelines. SAU Tech will follow these procedures as they are outlined below.
- Standard quarantine for 14 day release: 14 day quarantine is the safest option and still recommended. UAMS must be able to confirm asymptomatic status to release.
- Minimum requirements for 10 day release: Individuals placed into quarantine as a result of a close contact may be released after a minimum of 10 days if they have been asymptomatic throughout quarantine. The individual must notify their campus POC to request early release. The POC will verify absence of symptoms with UAMS to grant official release.
- Minimum requirements for 7 day release: Individuals placed into quarantine as a result of a close contact may be released after a minimum of 7 days if they both: (1.) Have been asymptomatic throughout the quarantine period and (2.) Receive a negative Covid test* result taken no sooner than five days after last exposure. The individual must notify their campus POC to request early release and provide negative test results. The POC will verify absence of symptoms with UAMS to grant official release.
In the case of early release, individuals must adhere strictly to other measures to reduce spread (masking, social distancing, hand hygiene, monitoring symptoms, reduce social activities, etc.) through day 14. If symptoms of COVID-19 develop after early release, the individual should immediately isolate and be tested for COVID-19 (even if they previously had a negative test during this quarantine period).
SAU Tech's COVID-19 Data
Southern Arkansas University Tech (SAU Tech) developed this plan through a committee planning process to respond to the situation created by the COVID-19 pandemic. The guidelines are reflective of the recommendations for higher education institutions set forth by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), guidance from the American College Health Association, and the Arkansas Department of Health. SAU Tech is following the Arkansas Department of Health Directive for re-opening of businesses that were updated on June 15, 2020.
Prevention of the spread of COVID-19 starts with recognizing the signs and symptoms of the virus. The College acknowledges the (CDC) Centers for Disease Control's List of Symptoms for COVID-19: Most frequent symptoms associated with COVID-19 (other signs and no symptoms are possible) that develop 2-14 days after exposure:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
Some people may experience some or all of the listed symptoms, and some of the population will exhibit no symptoms (asymptomatic). The CDC also states that other signs may present in addition to the ones listed above.
Prevention & Sanitation
Prevention efforts by SAU Tech include:
- Health Assessments for employees, students, and campus visitors
- Social Distancing
- Sanitation of work and classroom high-touch areas, and personal hygiene
Students (Future and Current)- Please make an appointment before coming to the campus for assistance in Financial Aid, Admissions, Advising, or taking an exam. Go to www.sautech.edu for further instructions. Advising appointments can be made at https://www.sautech.edu/advising/.
- Health Assessments: Students are required to undergo a temperature check before attending their first class of the day. Each building on campus will have an entrance for the checks and students will be given a colored dot to represent the day of the week for their instructors and others to recognize that they have been checked for the day. Student Screening Procedures Download
- Below are the colored dots and corresponding days.
- Masks: Students are asked to wear masks in common areas such as hallways, bathrooms, and when visiting offices on campus. Students are required to wear masks during classes at SAU Tech.
- Social Distancing: Students are required to stay at least 6 feet apart from other students in hallways, classrooms, and other campus spaces. Housing students follow the COVID-19 guidelines set forth in their housing manuals.
- Sanitation: Students practice good personal hygiene by cleaning their hands multiple times a day and using hand sanitizer available in offices and on the campus. The College's water fountains are not available for use during the pandemic.
Things to know before the semester begins:
- Bring masks with you to the campus and wear them as directed above.
- Students will undergo temperature checks before attending classes, so come early to class and social distance as you wait to be checked. Each building will have its own checkpoint.
- All students are required to get a student ID and wear it on a lanyard while on the campus. Get your student ID in the Rocket Success Center/Library. Students will have 1 week from the time classes start to obtain their ID.
- If you live on campus, the housing director will provide more instructions before your arrival. Check your school email.
- Any changes in meeting times in your classes or change in locations will be communicated to you by your course instructor. Check your emails frequently.
- SAU Tech is going to start the semester with a normal class delivery. This may change at any time. The changes will be communicated through your SAU Tech student email, the College's website, and by your course instructors.
- Sign-up for RAVE alerts. This is the system we use for emergency communications (weather, campus incidents, electrical outages, etc.) Use your school email to set-up your account. We share the system with SAU Magnolia, and your email identifies you as an SAU Tech student so that you receive the correct messages.
- All visitors must enter the campus through the Administration Building and take a health assessment before proceeding to offices or other buildings on the campus.
- Persons visiting SAU Tech or providing services to or at the College must wear a mask when entering buildings.
- Persons eating in the Tech Diner must wear a mask when in common areas of the Student Center, and while selecting and purchasing meals. Diners are asked to practice social distancing when eating (masks are removed).
- Visitors are asked to call first before coming to the campus for business purposes to ensure that social distancing can be maintained. The main number for the campus is 870-574-4500.
Employees-Please see SAU Tech's Extended COVID-19 Plan at the link below for more details.
- Health Assessments: Employees will report to a designated area in their building to take their temperature and sign-off each morning. Employee Screening Procedures Download
- Masks: Employees wear masks in common areas such as hallways, bathrooms, and break rooms. They also wear masks when they cannot social distance the required 6 feet from other people. Employees who serve students or prospective students in their offices wear masks if they cannot maintain a distance of 6 feet or more.
- Social Distancing: Employees make every effort to social distance during the workday.
- Sanitation of Workspaces: Employees sanitize work areas in addition to regular janitorial cleaning. Employees serving students clean their desk areas in between appointments with students. The faculty clean classroom areas between classes in addition to door handles, and any high touch areas. Typical office and classroom areas include door handles, glass doors, desktops, copiers, printers, keyboards, mouse, etc. Employees also practice good personal hygiene by cleaning their hands multiple times a day.
For enrolled students, parents, faculty, and staff, additional information can be found in the College’s portal (mycollege). You can access it under the quick links at www.sautech.edu or go to this link https://mycollege.sautech.edu/ICS/COVID-19_Response__Plans.jnz
SAU Tech continues to follow the direction of the State of Arkansas as it relates to business operations and resources are available at https://arkansasready.com/.
STUDENT Updates - ACADEMICS & student services
CLASS MEETING CHANGES
All changes in the times or days that classes meet will be communicated to students by their individual course instructors.
For general admission and advising information email email@example.com
Summer class finals are being proctored at SAU Tech. Please schedule your exam time through our online link. Schedule Your Test
Courtney Haygood, Director
Financial Aid (FAFSA, Scholarships, Loans, Etc.)
Student Accounts-Business Office
Information for High School Career Academy, Arkansas Fire Training Academy and Arkansas Environmental Training Academy
Arkansas Fire Training Academy
Rachel Nix, Director
Arkansas Environmental Training Academy
Update from Randy Harper on April 23, 2020.
SAU Tech Adult Ed Centers
The Centers in Magnolia and Camden are open to students and visitors by appointment Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am - 5:30 pm. All persons entering the locations are screened and must wear a mask at all times.