More information coming soon! Check back with us!
The Associate of Applied Science in Forestry Harvesting provides students with hands-on skills needed in order to fill the job openings for harvesting technicians in the forestry industry. The program is designed for individuals with the desire for working with different types of trees and logs; reading maps; learning cruising timber methods and logging road layouts, and other skills related to the logging industry. Students in this program spend time on field trips to timber property where they perform actual activities that one day they will do on the job as a forest technician.
Program graduates will be able to do the following:
• Identify tree species and the products and value that can be derived from each.
• Use legal descriptions to find tracts of timber and roughly survey and replace missing lines.
• Understand the different combinations of logging equipment making up a logging job and match the job to the tract being logged.
• Understand the wood supply chain and be able to compete in the wood procurement process.
• Know the markets for forest products and how to maximize the value from each tree being harvested.
• Be able to lay out logging roads, harvest tracts according to Arkansas's Forestry Best Management Practices, and keep safety a priority on the job.
• Know the use of forestry tools and their use in cruising for estimates of value on a standing tract of timber.
This is a great program for anyone who enjoys spending time in the outdoors and prefers working outside to in an office setting. Contact us today to find out more send us a request for information at the button located at the top of the page.